International Law must always be respected. National independence, national borders and national sovereignty are sacrosanct according to the UN Charter, and Russia under President Vladimir Putin has violated international law through the incorporation of Crimea into the Russia Federation.
However in mitigation one cannot ignore the following realities: the Crimean Parliament unanimously voted for this incorporation; 97% of the participants in a Crimean Referendum supported incorporation; Russian military presence in the Crimea was below that permitted by Treaty with Ukraine; Crimea has been an important part of Russia since its conquest by Catherine the Great in 1783; there is a Russian-speaking majority in Crimea; the crisis was precipitated by US, NATO and the EU fostering of the neo-Nazi-complicit Coup that removed the democratically-elected pro-Russian President and installed a government with key positions held by neo-Nazis and which has removed Russian as an official language.
Looming over this crisis is the historical reality that the German Nazis invaded the Soviet Union in 1941 and killed 25 million Soviet citizens, including 3 million Ukrainians, including about 1 million Ukrainian Jews. Ukrainian nationalists led by Nazi collaborator Stepan Bandera participated in this Ukrainian Holocaust and not just the neo-Nazis but the rest of the new Ukrainian regime regard Stepan Bandera as a national hero. Russia has faced nuclear weapons-backed Western hostility since 1945 and is now facing a NATO and neo-Nazi expansion into Eastern Europe to its very borders. Crimea is not just a mainly Russian speaking entity but is also strategically vital as the site of the Russian Black Sea fleet.
A. What hypocritical, war criminal Western leaders have said.
War criminal Western leaders have been correct in condemning the Russian incorporation of Crimea as illegal under international law but in so doing are grossly hypocritical in view of US Alliance invasion of non-contiguous countries in recent decades that, unlike Crimea, were linguistically, culturally and religiously utterly different from the invaders and were opposed to such alien Western invasion and devastation of their countries..
UK Prime Minister David Cameron: “Russia has sought to annex Crimea. This is a flagrant breach of international law and something we will not recognize. This behavior belongs to the Europe of the last century not this one. It cannot be ignored or we risk more serious problems in the future” . Labor Opposition leader Ed Miliband has adopted the same position as Obama, stating that what Russia had done was “unacceptable”. .
UK Foreign Minister William Hague: “You just don’t invade another country on phony pretexts in order to assert your interests. The world cannot say it’s OK to violate the sovereignty of another nation in this way” . The Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg and Labor Opposition leader Ed Miliband have voiced similar opinions.
US Secretary of State John Kerry: "You just don't in the 21st century behave in 19th century fashion by invading another country on completely trumped up pre-text… It's an incredible act of aggression. It is really a stunning, willful choice by President (Vladimir) Putin to invade another country. Russia is in violation of the sovereignty of Ukraine. Russia is in violation of its international obligations" .
US President Barack Obama: “We will continue to say to the Russian government that if it continues on the path that is on, then not only us but the international community ... will be forced to apply a cost to Russia's violations of international law. There is another path available, and we hope that (Russian) President (Vladimir) Putin is willing seize that path” .
Former US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton: “The claims by President Putin and other Russians that they had to go into Crimea and maybe further into eastern Ukraine because they had to protect the Russian minorities, that is reminiscent of claims that were made back in the 1930s when Germany under the Nazis kept talking about how they had to protect German minorities in Poland and Czechoslovakia and elsewhere throughout Europe. I just want everybody to have a little historic perspective. I am not making a comparison, certainly. But I am recommending that we perhaps can learn from this tactic that has been used before” .
Julie Bishop, Foreign Minister of the pro-Zionist, US lackey Australian Coalition Government, in announcing sanctions against Russia (that may, it is speculated, include exclusion of Russia from the forthcoming G20 meeting in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia): “The actions taken by Russia are a clear violation of international rules prohibiting the use of force and protecting the territorial integrity of states. International law does not allow one state to steal the territory of another on the basis of a referendum that cannot be considered free or fair. I condemn in the strongest possible terms the use of violence against Ukraine and its citizens. The situation in Ukraine remains serious, with the potential for military confrontation." . The pro-Zionist, US lackey Australian Labor Opposition has voiced similar views.
French Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault on Ukraine: "There is a requirement that must absolutely be respected - the territorial integrity of the country. Everything must be done for this integrity to be totally respected" . The French President Hollande and French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius have voiced similar views and announced suspension of Russia from the G8.
German Chancellor Angel Merkel was unequivocal: “"The so-called referendum breached international law, the declaration of independence which the Russian president accepted yesterday was against international law, and the absorption into the Russian Federation is, in our firm opinion, also against international law” .
However Nick Clegg, UK Deputy PM and leader of the Liberal Democrats, who had famously in parliament referred to “the illegal invasion of Iraq”, has called for “civilized dialogue”, pointing out that “Crimea already has a semi-autonomous status within Ukraine and clearly has a different history to other parts of Ukraine and has a very pronounced Russian imprint on it, not least because of the presence of the Russian Black Sea naval operation. So it is already in a different category and I don't think anyone wants to deny that. No-one is somehow suggesting that Crimea should be treated exactly the same as other parts of Ukraine given that it hasn't been treated like that in the past by the Ukrainians themselves" . Interestingly the anti-EU UK Independence Party (UKIP) leader Nigel Farage has clashed with Nick Clegg and declared that the EU has "blood on its hands" in the crisis from pursuing an "imperialist expansionist" policy in the east and giving "false hope" to people in the Ukraine .
B. One Ukrainian soldier killed in Crimea versus 12 million Muslim deaths in the post-1990 US War on Muslims.
Unfortunately 1 Ukrainian soldier was killed in the Crimea by a pro-Russian Crimean militia as compared to about 80 people were killed in the US-backed riots in Kiev that involved neo-Nazis as well as Israeli Special Forces killers . However the death of 1 Ukrainian in the Crimea contrasts with the 12 million Muslims (half of them children) who have died from violence or violently-imposed deprivation over the last quarter century in the Zionist-promoted, post-1990 US War on Muslims, the breakdown being 4.6 million (Iraq, 1990-2011), 6 million (Afghanistan (2001-), 2.2 million (Somalia, 1992-), 0.1 million (Palestine (1990-), 0.1 million (Libya, 2011-) and 0.1 million (Syria, 2011-.
Indeed, while pro-Russian militia told Ukrainian soldiers “We are brothers” and only 1 Ukrainian soldier died, the carnage in the Zionist-promoted US War on Muslims must be described in terms of “holocaust” (death of a huge number of people) and genocide (defined by the UN Genocide Convention as “any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic, racial or religious group, as such: a) Killing members of the group; b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group”).
The Ukraine has suffered holocaust and genocide in the last century, specifically the man-made famine (Holodomor) under Stalin in the 1930s that killed 7 million Ukrainians and the WW2 European Holocaust by the German Nazis in which 3 million Ukrainians died, including 1 million Ukrainian Jews. Neo-Nazi Ukrainian were involved in the WW2 Ukrainian Holocaust under Nazi collaborator Stepan Bandera who is worshipped as a national hero by the new anti-Russian, neo-Nazi-linked regime in Kiev.
1.3 million Americans die preventably each year and one can also talk of an American Holocaust of about 16 million preventable American deaths since 2001 linked to the fiscal perversion of the US Government committing trillions of dollars to killing Muslims abroad rather than on keeping Americans alive at home. Thus the long-term accrual cost of the War on Terror is $6 trillion and the cost of US support for Israel is an estimated $40 trillion since inception of the racism- and genocide-based rogue state). A similar argument can be made in relation to the Global Avoidable Mortality Holocaust in which currently 18 million people de avoidably from deprivation on Spaceship Earth with a violent and genocidal racist American Establishment in charge of the flight deck.
C. Continuing, appalling Western record of invading other countries.
The West, and the countries of NATO and the France-UK-US Coalition ((FUKUS Coalition ) in particular, have an appalling record of invading and occupying other countries that continued into the 21st century as outlined below..
The US has invaded 70 nations since 1776 and subverts and perverts every nation on earth including its craven allies like Australia. In the 21st century the US military has invaded and occupied Iraq and Afghanistan with troops on the ground and has used its air force (conventional or unmanned drones) to attack Somalia, Libya, Mali, Yemen and Pakistan. The US also backed the excision of Kosovo from Serbia (analogous to Crimea excising itself from the Ukraine).
France has invaded 80 nations since 800AD and in the 21st century has invaded Afghanistan and Mali as well as helping its FUKUS Coalition allies bomb Libya back to the Stone Age.
The English and thence the British have invaded every country in the world – all circa 200 countries and self-governing entities except for 22 - since 1066. In the 21st century the UK has invaded, occupied and devastated Iraq and Afghanistan and its air force has smashed Libya as well as assisting in the French invasion of Mali.
Germany in the last 1-2 centuries has invaded all European countries except for Ireland, Iceland, Sweden, Cyprus, Malta, Spain, and Portugal (some 34 nations or self-governing entities in total) as well as invading what are today Papua-New Guinea, Tanzania, Burundi, Cameroon and Namibia. In Namibia (South West Africa) the Germans conducted mass murder of about 100,000 of the indigenous Herero and Nama people in a forerunner of the WW1 Armenian Genocide by Germany’s ally Turkey and the Nazi German WW2 European Holocaust (30 million Slavs, Jews and Gypsies killed). In 1945 many Germans said that they “didn’t know” about German atrocities and Germans adopted a CAAAA (C4A) protocol involving Cessation of the killing, Acknowledgment of the crimes, Apology and Amends for the crimes and Assertion “never again to anyone”. However, by the 1990s the German Luftwaffe had resumed bombing and killing Serbs, and in the 21st century Germany participated in the US-led Afghan Holocaust and Afghan Genocide (6 million dead from violence or war-imposed deprivation). A New Nazi Germany, a Corporatist Germany in the 21st century resolutely returned to the killing and genocide business in Afghanistan and is continuing to assist Apartheid Israel and its ongoing Palestinian Genocide and violent anti-Arab anti-Semitic imperialism with money and sophisticated weaponry.
US-backed Apartheid Israel in its short existence as an anti-Arab anti-Semitic, genocidal rogue state has invaded 12 countries and still occupies the territory of 3 countries whereas nuclear-weapons-free Iran - the bête noire (black beast) of the racist, pro-Zionist, nuclear terrorist and mendacious FUKUS Coalition and Apartheid Israel - has not invaded any country for centuries.
UK lackey and thence US lackey racist White Australia has invaded scores of countries, including Russia, with many of these invasions having devastating genocidal effects. Thus 40 million Asians have died from violence or from war-imposed deprivation in post-1950 US Asian wars, in all of which White Australia has been a participant. Australia hosts nuclear weapons-armed US vessels, hosts 2,500 child-killing US marines in Darwin, makes donations toward the Palestinian Genocide tax deductible, gives most-favored entry status to Israeli war criminals visiting Australia, ignores traitorous Australians involved in Israeli war crimes, and is Apartheid Israel’s moist vocal supporter after the US.
D. The human cost of Western nations invading other countries.
While largely Russian Crimea will be economically much better off with Mother Russia than with bankrupt Ukraine, countries occupied by Western countries end up far worse off. Foreign occupation means increased disregard of the people by the Ruler that is reflected in increased avoidable mortality (avoidable death, excess mortality, excess deaths or deaths that should not have happened). Avoidable mortality is defined as the difference between the actual mortality and the deaths expected for a peaceful, decently-governed country with the same demographics. In descending order of the “victim country”/ “occupier country” ratios of the “post-1950 excess mortality/2005 population” ratios we have the following order: the Netherlands (60.6 ) > Spain (17.4) > Israel (15.9) > Portugal (14.5) > Australia (11.4) > US (8.5) > Belgium (6.9) > France (6.1) > New Zealand (5.9) > UK (4.4) > Indonesia (2.6) > Russia (1.7) > South Africa (1.1) = Pakistan (1.1) > Ethiopia (0.8) > Turkey (0.5) > Iraq (0.2). The very high ratios for occupier European countries (other than Russia) simply indicate deep disregard for their colonial and neo-colonial subjects’ i.e. profound racism. Foreign occupation results in rulers with less intrinsic regard for the ruled than with indigenous rulers. In contrast, in the Soviet Union the average avoidable mortality of Russia’s former Soviet subjects was only 1.7 times greater than for Russians .
Another way of assessing the consequences of hegemony, neo-colonialism, invasion and occupation is the total avoidable mortality per se of subject countries. Thus 1950-2005 avoidable deaths in countries occupied in the post-1945 era by the following Occupier countries (as major Occupiers) total 24 million (Apartheid Israel), 2 million (Australia), Belgium (36 million), 2 million (Ethiopia), 142 million (France), 17 million (Germany from joint Occupation of Afghanistan with the US Alliance), 0.7 million (Indonesia), 0.1 million (Iraq), 72 million (Netherlands), 0.03 million (New Zealand), 51 million (Pakistan), 23 million (Portugal), 37 million (Russia), 0.7 million (South Africa), 9 million (Spain), 0.05 million (Turkey), 727 million (UK), 82 million (US).
Thus while one (1) Ukrainian soldier was killed in the Crimean Crisis and Crimean avoidable deaths are expected to decrease in the arms of Mother Russia, 1.7 million Iraqi have been violently killed by the US Alliance since 1990 and Iraqi avoidable deaths from war- and sanctions-imposed deprivation total 2.9 million since the beginning of the Iraq war in 1990.
E. Western double standards over Crimea overwhelmingly demanding re-union with Mother Russia versus Apartheid Israel’s Occupation and ethnic cleansing of Palestine.
Hypocritical Western railings over Russia’s admission of Crimea to the Russian Federation can be usefully dramatized by comparison with Western backing of Israel’s Palestinian Genocide and its Occupation since 1973 of the Occupied Palestinian Territories (the West Bank and the Gaza Concentration Camp) and the Golan Heights (part of Syria) Israel comparisons are in brackets). .
1. Most Crimeans are Russian Orthodox and Russian speakers and there is a Muslim Tatar minority; Crimea has been Russian since 1783 (in 1880 there were about 500,000 largely Arab Palestinians and 25,000 Jews (of whom half were immigrants; apart from illegal Jewish settlers, the population of the Occupied Palestinian Territory are overwhelmingly Arab-speaking and Muslim with a declining but significant Christian Palestinian minority; none want to be ruled by racist Zionists who have now ethnically cleansed 90% of Palestine).
2. The Crimean Parliament voted unanimously for re-union with Russia (the UK unilaterally effectively gave the land of the Indigenous Palestinians to well-armed racist colonizers against the wishes of the Indigenous people).
3. In the Crimean Referendum 97% of participants voted for re-union with Russia (in the 2006 Occupied Palestinian elections held under Apartheid Israeli guns Hamas won with 74 seats out of the 132 seats, while the ruling Fatah won just 45; the Israelis, the UK, the US and White Australia conveniently declared the Hamas MPs to be terrorists to be hunted down, exiled, imprisoned or killed).
4. There were fewer Russian troops in Crimea than actually permitted by Treaty and pro-Russian militia took over Crimea after the US-backed, neo-Nazi-linked Coup in Kiev (Apartheid Israel seized land allocated by the UN to Palestinians and expelled 800,000 Palestinians in 1948; more Palestinian were expelled when Apartheid Israel invaded Palestine, Syria, Jordan and Egypt in 1967 and illegally occupied the Occupied Palestinian Territories).
5. One Ukrainian soldier was killed (Jewish deaths from Palestinians since 1920 total about 3,700; Palestinian deaths since 1936 total 2 million with 0.1 million violent deaths and 1.9 million deaths from violently-imposed deprivation ; in the 1967 Six-Day War the aggressor Apartheid Israel lost about 800 servicemen but Egyptian, Jordanian and Syrian losses totaled about 24, 000).
6. Crimeans have full human rights joined with Russia, their overwhelming wishes for re-union are met, and their life expectancy will increase, noting that the Nationalist- and neo-Nazi-dominated Ukraine post-Coup regime has abolished Russian as an official language (Occupied Palestinians in West Bank Bantustans or in the Gaza Concentration Camp have zero human rights - nearly 47 years after the 1967 Israeli conquest of all of Palestine, the Western-backed, invasion-, occupation- , theft- , genocide-, lying- and race-based Apartheid State of Israel still comprehensively violates all basic human rights of the Indigenous Occupied Palestinian People as set out in the 30 Articles of the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights).
7. While the democratically-elected, pro-Russian President of the Ukraine was removed by an Israeli Special Forces-complicit, neo-Nazi-led Coup, the Crimeans have overwhelmingly voted for re-union with Russia so that they do not have to be ruled by ultra-nationalists and neo-Nazis who honor Ukrainian Nazi collaborators like Stepan Bandera and his followers who were complicit in the deaths of 3 million Ukrainians in WW2, including 1 million Ukrainian Jews (the race-based, racist Zionist-run Apartheid State of Israel is a democracy-by-genocide - of about 12 million Palestinians only 7%, the adults of 1.7 million Palestinian Israelis (21% of the Israeli population) can vote for the government ruling all of Palestine plus part of Lebanon and a near-completely ethnically cleansed part of Syria, albeit as third class citizens; 1.8 million Occupied Palestinians are abusively confined to the Gaza Concentration Camp; 2.5 million Occupied Palestinians live under highly abusive military rule in West Bank Bantustans; about 6 million Palestinians are forbidden to even live in Palestine; there are 5.9 million Jewish Israelis and 0.3 million non-Jewish and non-Arab Israelis).
8. Crimean children will grow up permitted to speak their own languages in a democratic state and with improved health prospects (Occupied Palestinian children have zero human rights ; UNICEF data indicated that Apartheid Israel passively murders about 3,000 under-5 Palestinian infants and about 4, 200 Palestinians in total each year each year; 10% of the children in the Gaza Concentration Camp are stunted from deprivation due to the Apartheid Israeli blockade).
Yet the US, the UK, the EU and racist White Australia condemn Russia and the pro-Russian Crimeans while offering massive diplomatic and other support to nuclear terrorist, serial war criminal, democracy-by-genocide Apartheid Israel. Australia under the pro-war, pro-Zionist, US lackey, anti-Arab anti-Semitic Coalition Government is one of the more disgraceful offenders.
Thus after the November 2013 elections Australia abstained (with 7 other countries) from voting on a resolution demanding that Apartheid Israel cease “all Israeli settlement activities in all of the occupied territories” (about 160 nations supported the resolution). In December 2013, Australia voted no (with 12 other countries) to a resolution calling on Israel to “comply scrupulously” with the Geneva Convention (169 countries voted yes).
New Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop on illegal Israeli settlements in the West Bank: “I would like to see which international law has declared them illegal… I don’t think it’s helpful to prejudge the settlement issue if you’re trying to get a negotiated solution. And by deeming the activity as a war crime, it’s unlikely to engender a negotiated solution”. She has also declared those supporting Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) against Apartheid Israel as “anti-Semitic”: “It’s anti-Semitic. It identifies Israel out of all other nations as being worthy of a boycott, divestment and sanctions campaign? Hypocritical beyond belief”. One notes that many of those supporting BDS are anti-racist Jews inescapably obliged by the WW2 Jewish Holocaust (5 million killed) to speak out for “never again to anyone” and against racism, Apartheid, and genocide.
The Labor Right leader of the Australian Labor Opposition, pro-Zionist right-winger Bill Shorten, offered this rather slimy, incorrect and craven opinion to the powerful Australian Zionist Federation: “We do acknowledge that some settlement activity in the West Bank is illegal under Israeli law and we encourage the Israeli authorities to act effectively with respect to this”. The reality is that all Apartheid Israeli settlements on the West Bank are illegal under International Law.
Outstanding anti-racist Jewish American linguistics scholar Professor Noam Chomsky from 83-Nobel-Laureate MIT has observed “For the powerful crimes are those that others commit” . Similarly Dr. Edward Herman And David Peterson in “The Politics Of Genocide” have observed that as far as the Mainstream media and politicians are concerned genocide is something that is done by Africans, Asians and Serbs but not by members of the US Alliance. Mehdi Hasan (a contributing writer for the New Statesman and the political director of the Huffington Post UK) applies Professor Chomsky’s position to the Crimean Occupation: “For our most hypocritical leaders, crimes are those that others commit” .
- David Cameron quoted in James Legge, “Ukraine crisis: David Cameron attacks Crimea vote “under barrel of a Kalashnikov”, The Independent, 21 March 2014.
- Mehdi Hasan, “For our most hypocritical leaders, crimes are those that others commit”, New Statesman, 21 Match 2014.
- Quoted in Will Dunham, “Kerry condemns Russia’s “incredible act of aggression” in Ukraine”, Reuters, 2 March 2013.
- Barack Obama quoted in Nick Paton Walsh, Laura Smith-Spark and Steve Almasy, “”, CNN, 13 March 2014.
- Hilary Clinton quoted in “Hilary Clinton says Crimea occupation echoes Hitler”, Vladimir Putin’s”, The Guardian, 6 March 2014.
- Julie Bishop quoted in David Wroe, “Crimea crisis: Australia declares sanctions on key Russian and Ukrainian figures”, Sydney Morning Herald, 19 March 2014.
- Jean-Marc Ayrault quoted in “France calls for Ukraine’s integrioty to be respected as Crimea crisis deepens”, RFI, 1 March 2014.
- Angela Merkel quoted in “Crimea grab against “international law””, The Local, 18 March 2014 .
- Nick Clegg quoted in “Clegg slams Putin’s “KGB mentality””, Sunday Post, 30 March 2014 .
- Peter Dominiczak, “Nick Clegg: Nigel Farage is siding with Vladimir Putin”, The Telegraph, 27 March 2014.
- Michel Chossudiovsky, “Israeli special forces unit under neo-Nazi command involved in Maidan riots?” Global Research, 3 March 2014.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Russian hacker Roman Seleznev sentenced to 27 years
- Qatar calls for independent probe into chemical attack
- Russia, Syria and Iran warn US against further strikes
- NATO deploys troops to Poland near Russian border
- Trump's Attack on Syria Domestically Motivated
- Trump says US-Russia ties 'may be at an all-time low'
|Allen L. Jasson|
|William John Cox|