US-Israel back torturer Suleiman
The world have been thrilled by the success of the peaceful Egyptian Revolution and fervently hope that this is the beginning of the end for endlessly greedy US imperialism, for all US-backed dictators like Hosni Mubarak and for US-backed, genocidal racist Zionism and Apartheid in the Middle East. However the US, Apartheid Israel, Egyptian torturer Omar Suleiman and the traitorous Egyptian Establishment may yet pervert the Egyptian Revolution and continue the Egyptian massacre that has passively killed 22 million Egyptians through imposed poverty since 1950.
The Egyptian Revolution has seen off US-backed, pro-Israel dictator Hosni Mubarak but time will tell whether the US, Apartheid Israel, the Egyptian military and the corrupt Egyptian Establishment will be successful in perverting the fervent wish of the Egyptian people for democracy and a decent life. In particular, it is not clear what the role will be of Omar Suleiman, the US-backed, pro-Israel Egyptian spy chief, CIA collaborator, human rights abuser and torturer appointed as Vice President by Mubarak during the Egyptian Revolution.
Thus the latest news as of 14 February 2011 from Daily News Egypt: “Prime Minister Ahmed Shafiq said in the first press conference after President Mubarak’s ouster on Sunday that cabinet is functioning as usual and reporting to the Supreme Council of Armed Forces… Regarding Vice President Omar Suleiman, Shafiq says that his role in government is yet to be decided by the ruling military council” (see “Shafiq says cabinet’s priority is to restore order, boost the economy”, The Daily News Egypt, 14 February 2011).
If Omar Suleiman or indeed anyone from the Mubarak regime remains in government then the Egyptian Revolution will have been effectively neutralized by the US-backed, pro-Israel traitors of the Egyptian Mubarak Establishment. Yet this is clearly the wish of the Zionist-beholden Americans and the racist Zionist Israelis. Thus the New York Times (3 February 2011) reported: "The Obama administration is discussing with Egyptian officials a proposal for President Hosni Mubarak to resign immediately and turn over power to a transitional government headed by Vice President Omar Suleiman with the support of the Egyptian military, administration officials and Arab diplomats said Thursday" (see “White House and Egypt discuss plan for Mubarak’s exit”, New York Times, 3 February 2011).
Omar Suleiman is utterly unfit to be part of any Egyptian administration period, let alone an administration transitioning a move to genuine democracy. Omar Suleiman is a US- and Israeli-backed traitor, a gross human rights abuser and a vile torturer, as revealed by the statements of one of his victims, Australian citizen Mamdouh Habib who was “rendition” for torture. From Pakistan to Egypt in a process involving Americans, Pakistanis, Afghans, Australians, Egyptians and Omar Suleiman.
The torture of Australian Mamdouh Habib is just one example of the no doubt tens of thousands of victims of torturer and serial human rights abuser Suleiman. Leading Australian Mainstream newspaper The Age has reported testimony of an Egyptian intelligence officer about the involvement of US, Afghan, Pakistani, Egyptian and Australian officials and Omar Suleiman in the rendition and torture of Australian citizen Mamdouh Habib: "The statement from the intelligence officer was taken by Mr. Habib's Egyptian lawyer, Hisham Mahmoud Ramadan, who yesterday told Mr. Habib the overthrow of the Mubarak regime would make it easier to get more information about his torture. With the overthrow, more light is likely to be cast on the role Egypt has played in the torturing of terror suspects for Western nations. Omar Suleiman, who was anointed Egypt's Vice-President earlier this week, has been identified by Mr. Habib as being present at his torture and interrogation sessions. Mr. Habib was arrested in Pakistan in the aftermath of the September 11 attacks, secretly taken to Egypt where he was tortured for seven months and then transferred to Guantanamo Bay where he was held until January 2005 “(see “Australian official saw Egyptians torture Habib”, The Age, 13 February 2011).
Here is Mamdouh Habib’s own testimony in his book "My Story: The tale of a terrorist who wasn’t": "He [Omar Suleiman] slapped me hard across the face and knocked off the blindfold: I clearly saw his face…They took me to another room, where they tortured me relentlessly, stripping me naked and applying electric shocks everywhere on my body. The next thing I remember was seeing the general [Omar Suleiman] again. He came into a room with a man from Turkistan; he was a big man but was stooped over, because his hands were chained to the shackles of his feet, preventing him from standing upright. ‘This guy is no use to us anymore. This is what is going to happen to you. Suddenly a guy they called Hanish, which mean snake, came at the poor man from behind and gave him a terrible karate kick that sent him crashing across the room. A guard went over to shake him, but he didn’t respond…They dragged the dead man out” (see “Mamdouh Habib and CIA’s man in Cairo: Socialist Alternative, 11 February 2011).
Now a spokeswoman for Australian PM Julia Gillard has stated: 'The Prime Minister has referred the issue of Mr. Habib to the Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security to conduct an inquiry. Allegations about the actions of Australian agencies have been made and the Prime Minister believes it is important that they are investigated'' (see “Habib torture inquiry”, The Age, 14 February 2011).
However we will not hold our breath because Australians have known about the Australian-complicit torture of Mamdouh Habib for over 9 years and Australian Intelligence evidently gave utterly false intelligence to the Australian Government that Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction, this resulting in the Australian invasion of Iraq that helped lead to post-invasion violent Iraqi deaths totaling 1.4 million, post-invasion non-violent avoidable deaths from war-imposed deprivation totaling 1.1 million, post-invasion under-5 infant deaths totaling 0.8 million and 5-6 million Iraq refugees.
Habib was not the only rendition person tortured by Suleiman. According to the Canadian Globe and Mail: “Omar Suleiman – spymaster, CIA ally and heir apparent to Egypt’s throne – has been accused in the interrogation of a Canadian citizen tortured overseas. The allegation appears in the federal findings from a former Canadian Supreme Court judge [Iacobucci] ], who faulted Canadian intelligence practices for setting into motion a snowballing series of global investigations in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. … Arrested in the Middle East two months after 9/11, Mr. El Maati spent the next two years being passed from interrogator to interrogator. Canadian judges have found his accounts of beatings and electric shocks to be credible. One of his inquisitors may have been Egypt’s top spy. “Mr. El Maati thought that he recognized his interrogator from the news and that he might be Omar Suleiman, the head of Egyptian intelligence,” the Iacobucci report says, using an alternate spelling of the Egyptian Vice-President’s name” (see “Suleiman may have questioned tortured Canadian”, The Globe and Mail, 10 February 2011 ).
Of course the imprisonment and torture of thousands of Egyptians and rendition non-Egyptians by Omar Suleiman and his goons is just a small if horrifying part of the crimes of the US-backed, pro-Israel Mubarak dictatorship. Zionist-backed Anglo-American hegemony, US-backed wars and US-backed dictatorships have caused immense avoidable death through imposed deprivation in Egypt from diversion of scarce resources from food, health and education to militarization and corruption. Egyptian avoidable deaths from deprivation since 1950 total about 22 million and post-1950 under-5 Egyptian infant deaths total about 15 million. Currently the avoidable death rate in Egypt is 0.22% which means that 180,000 Egyptians die avoidably each year from deprivation out of an Egyptian population of 82 million. While Mubarak’s fortune is variously estimated at up to $70 billion (see "Wow, wealth of Hosni Mubarak is 70 million U.S. dollars", WNCNews, 5 February 2011), it is grinding poverty in Egypt (annual per capita income US$1,800 according to UNICEF) that kills the 180,000 Egyptians who die avoidably each year from US-, Israeli- and Mubarak-imposed deprivation (for shocking details see my book "Body Count. Global avoidable mortality since 1950").
There should be no place to hide in this world for US- and Israel-backed Hosni Mubarak, Omar Suleiman and their murderous, traitorous associates who are linked to the avoidable death of 22 million Egyptians in a continuing Egyptian massacre. The World is watching to see if genocidal US, Zionist and Egyptian neocons overtly move to destroy the Egyptian Revolution. The World must unite to ensure that the “people power” of the Egyptian Revolution survives and indeed spreads throughout the Arab World, the Muslim World and indeed the World as a whole. The US Obama Administration stands utterly condemned for its support for the perversion of the Egyptian Revolution by serial human rights abuser and torturer Omar Suleiman.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Palestinians on strike in solidarity with prisoners
- 'Israeli strikes' hit arms depot in Damascus
- Marwan Barghouti's health in serious decline: NGO
- Deadly Israeli strikes target Syria's Quneitra province
- Israeli settlers attack activists in the West Bank
- Assad still possesses chemical weapons: James Mattis
|Allen L. Jasson|