Friday, April 28, 2017
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Afghanistan civilian casualties reaches record high

The number of civilian casualties in Afghanistan in 2016 was the highest since the UN started keeping records.

The number of civilian casualties as a result of the conflict in Afghanistan reached its highest point in 2016 since the UN began keeping records.

Over 11,500 people were killed or wounded last year as a result of the fight between the Afghan government and anti-government groups.

According to research from the United Nations, about one third of the victims were children. Most of the casualties (61 percent) were caused by armed groups like the Taliban and the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS). Afghan security forces and air raids by international warplanes were responsible for the other 39 percent.

Fighting in several areas of Afghanistan continues, as this map shows. The Taliban has gained ground in several key places in the country.

Click for the actual size


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

North Korea marks

Europe's late spring freeze