The world's longest-reigning monarch respected by the vast majority of Thai people dies aged 88 after prolonged illness.
Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who was the world's longest-reigning monarch, has died in hospital, the palace has said in an announcement.
The highly revered king was 88 years old and spent most of the last decade in a hospital for a variety of ailments related to old age.
Adulyadej had been Thailand's king since 1946 and had earned the deepest respect from the vast majority of Thais.
His son and heir apparent, the 63-year-old Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn, is expected to become Thailand's new king.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Ivanka faces tough questions over Trump in Berlin
- Pope Francis arrives in Egypt on historic visit
- Turkey targets Kurdish fighters in Iraq and Syria
- Trump tells UN to prepare new North Korea sanctions
- US submarine arrives in South Korea as envoys meet
- Palestinian 'day of rage' in support of prisoners