On 18 September 2014, about 4 million Scots voters will have the opportunity to vote for Scottish Independence. The latest poll indicates 51% support for the “Yes” vote for Scottish Independence. Outlined below are 20 reasons why Scots should vote “Yes’ for an Independent Scotland.
1. An Independent Scotland will mean a fairer Scotland if decision making moves from Westminster to Scotland. Local rule will mean decisions by Scots for Scots.
2. An Independent Scotland will mean that Scots will get the government they vote for. Most Scots vote for Labor but are ruled from Westminster by Tories,
3. An Independent Scotland may be one of Europe’s wealthiest countries because of North Sea oil. Scotland has huge North Sea’s oil reserves are vast but most of the earnings and taxes from oil presently goes directly to Westminster. Indeed an Independent Scotland may be one of the wealthiest nations in Europe.
4. An Independent Scotland will have the requisite resources and finances. An Independent Scotland would have the necessary resources and finances and indeed would be better off financially by retaining North Sea oil revenues and eliminating the huge cost of UK militarization and wars.
5. An Independent Scotland will rapidly create more government and industrial jobs for Scots. Scottish Independence would mean many government jobs replacing those based in Westminster. Scotland’s massive renewable energy resources (wind, wave and tide) will mean more Green Future jobs and energy exports to England.
6. An Independent Scotland would mean better social services for Scots. Scottish Independence would mean government by and for the 99 Percent rather than for the One Percenters and accordingly better health, education and welfare services.
7. An Independent Scotland would mean better social equality for Scots. The dissociation from Westminster would immediately remove the current huge intra-national wage disparity between London and Scotland and enable a more inclusive and equitable society.
8. An Independent Scotland would mean more rational government for both England and Scotland. Politically England still has a major global reach (with war being a regular manifestation of this) whereas Scotland, as reflected in the electoral disposition, has an internal, social well-being orientation. Scottish Independence, like an amicable divorce, would mean more sensible government for both England and Scotland that would better satisfy their quite different goals.
9. A “No” vote now may well mean “No” forever. The English Establishment-dominated UK Government is already panicking over the strength of the “Yes” vote and if it scrapes home in the 18 September 2014 referendum it may well take drastic steps to ensure that this situation does not arise again.
10. An Independent Scotland would ban Nuclear Weapons and cease being a nuclear target. A nuclear exchange would wipe out most of Humanity (current population about 7 billion), successively through the initial instantaneous destruction of cities, subsequent deaths from burns and radiation sickness from radioactive fallout, and finally through a “Nuclear Winter” decimating agriculture, photosynthesis and photosynthetic-based life in general. An Independent Scotland would add a further sane country to the 47 states that , so far, in clear, succinct statements back a Nuclear Weapons Ban, namely Afghanistan, Argentina, Austria, Burundi, Chile, Colombia, Comoros, Costa Rica, Côte d'Ivoire, Cuba, Ecuador, El Salvador, Fiji, Ghana, Guatemala, Holy See, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Lebanon, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Mongolia, Morocco, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Palestine, Peru, Philippines, Qatar, Samoa, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Switzerland, Trinidad and Tobago, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Vanuatu, and Zambia.
11. A demilitarized Independent Scotland would have freed up resources to alleviate Poverty both at home and abroad. UN Population Division data indicate that about 17 million people already die avoidably each year from deprivation in Developing Countries (minus China) on a Spaceship Earth with neoliberal One Percenters substantially in charge of the flight deck. As discussed in point (14) below 11,000 Scots die avoidably each year and this can be linked to poverty, deprivation and lack of resources for health in the context of a highly militarized and inequitable UK.
12. Scotland aims for 100% renewable energy by 2020 (via wind, tide and wave power) and an Independent Scotland would be a major example for Climate Change Action.
Scientists understand the damaging and threatening consequences of man-made greenhouse gas (GHG) pollution and how to solve it (stop and reverse GHG pollution). Fundamentally, the world needs to urgently reduce atmospheric CO2 concentration from the current dangerous and damaging 400 ppm CO2 to about 300 ppm for a safe planet for all peoples and all species, this involving a rapid switch to the best non-carbon and renewable energy (solar, wind, geothermal, wave, tide and hydro options that are currently roughly the same market price as coal burning-based power) and to energy efficiency, public transport, needs-based production, re-afforestation and return of carbon as biochar to soils or bicarbonate to oceans coupled with correspondingly rapid cessation of fossil fuel burning, deforestation, methanogenic livestock production and population growth. Scotland aims for 100 % renewable energy by 2020 via wind, tide and wave power.
13. An Independent Scotland would dissociate itself from British state terrorism; US state terrorism, US Alliance state terrorism and British Imperialism.
The US has invaded 70 countries since 1776, the UK has invaded about 172 countries and France has invaded 80. 1950-2005 avoidable deaths in countries occupied by France, the UK and the US (the FUKUS Alliance) in the post-1945 era total 142 million, 727 million and 82 million, respectively. The British Empire was associated with genocide on all inhabited contents. Avoidable deaths from British imposed deprivation in the 2 century British Raj in India totaled 1.8 billion. The post-1990 Muslim Genocide has been associated with 12 million Muslim deaths from violence or violently-imposed deprivation (and half being children).
14. An Independent Scotland with a pro-peace, pro-health and pro-equity agenda could eliminate 11,000 preventable deaths in Scotland each year. The UK Office for National Statistics (ONS) found that 23% of deaths in England and Wales could have been prevented through better care, more effective treatment and healthier living. UN Population Division data indicate 585, 000 deaths in the UK each year, and assuming the same mortality and preventable mortality rates in England-Wales, Scotland (population 5.3 million) and the UK (population 63 million) one can estimate 0.23 x 585,900 x 5.3/63.0 = 11,337 preventable deaths each year in Scotland. This estimate is consonant with that of Scotland’s Chief Medical Officer Dr. Harry Burns who stated (2008):
“Coronary heart disease, stroke and cancer are the biggest causes of death in Scotland. Deaths from alcohol-related liver disease in Scotland are rising faster than almost anywhere else in the world. Tragically, thousands of Scots are dying from these conditions years earlier than they should. I estimate around 5,000 lives could be saved in Scotland each year if we followed simple steps to avoid known risk factors. What may surprise people is that a significant proportion of these avoidable deaths are from cancer. Many of the thousands of lives lost to or blighted by cancer in Scotland each year could be saved by simple steps to prevent or detect early".
15. An Independent Scotland could recover sovereignty, social equity and genuine democracy by a wealth tax. An annual wealth tax as suggested by French economist Professor Thomas Piketty would enable significant wealth transfer in Scotland enabling a move to restoration of genuine sovereignty and genuine democracy. This would set a good example for the world as a whole. Thus an annual global wealth tax of about 4% would yield US$16 trillion annually and enable raising all countries to annual per capita incomes equivalent to the $6,000 per person per year of China and Cuba, countries for which annual avoidable mortality is zero (0), As revealed in the “No” campaign, the UK like other Western democracies is a Murdochracy, Lobbyocracy and Corporatocracy in which Big Money owns half the wealth and purchases people, politicians , parties, policies, public perception of reality and political power.
16. An Independent Scotland would have rejected the “No” advice of serial invaders and serial war criminals like Barack Obama and Tony Blair. If a majority of Scots vote “Yes” for Independence, an Independent Scotland would have rejected the advice of serial war criminals like Barack Obama and Tony Blair and their warmongering Antipodean lackey Australian PM Tony Abbott who all have a bloody penchant for knowing what's good for other countries and backing that up with war criminal invasions and devastations of other states. Thus the post-1990 Zionist -backed US War on Muslims has been associated with 12 million Muslim deaths from violence or violently-imposed deprivation (with about half being children), an Anglo-American Muslim Holocaust and a Muslim Genocide according to the definition of “genocide” by Article 2 of the UN Genocide Convention.
17. An Independent Scotland would resume a rational and healthy national life after a millennium of hegemony, exploitation, ethnic cleansing and lying by the genocidal English Establishment. As outlined above, an Independent Scotland would be able to make rational decisions in the interests of Scotland and indeed of Humanity. Rational risk management that is crucial for societal safety successively involves (a) getting accurate data, (b) scientific analysis (science involving the critical testing of potentially falsifiable hypotheses) and (c) systemic change, changing systems so that when Nature or fallible humans inevitably cause a dangerous situation the system is better able to minimize risk. Unfortunately all too prevalent “spin” and “politicized” responses in society pervert rational risk management by (a) lies, slices (spin-based untruths), censorship, intimidation, self-censorship, and white-washing, (b) anti-science spin involving the use of selected asserted “facts” to support a partisan position, and (c) “blame and shame”, picking convenient culprits for public punishment, thereby inhibiting reportage (with war being the ultimate expression of this perverted approach). For a millennium Scotland has been dealing with threats, hegemony, invasion, occupation, exploitation, ethnic cleansing, lying and spin by the genocidal English Establishment. Now an Independent Scotland has the opportunity to throw off the shackles of an exploitative and mendacious English Establishment.
18. A pro-peace, pro-equity, demilitarized Independent Scotland would provide an example for all other countries and peoples in the world. We live in a world in which the top One Percenters own about 50% of the wealth and the bottom 50% own about 1% of the wealth. In the Anglosphere countries the share of annual income of the Top One Percenters and top Ten Percenters is steadily increasing. This disproportionality endangers economies, human rights and democracy. Indeed this outrageous corporatist distortion has given rise to the nuclear, poverty and climate change threats that acutely threaten Humanity. An Independent Scotland would be more able to adopt rational, science-informed, pro-peace, pro-Humanity policies and thus provide a powerful example to all nations and all peoples, not least the long-suffering ordinary people of England.
19. An Independent Scotland would have a new and important place in Celtic Europe, Scandinavia and the Anglosphere. Scottish Independence would give a huge boost to cultural, economic, social and diplomatic interactions in the Celtic World, Scandinavia, and Anglo-Celtic states worldwide (the Anglosphere).
20. An Independent Scotland would provide an example of civilized, rational, non-intrusive nationalism. The rise of nation states has been associated with the horrors of jingoistic nationalism (e.g. “Rule Britannia”), wars, devastation; slavery and genocide (see my books “Jane Austen and the Black Hole of British History” and “Body Count. Global avoidable mortality since 1950”, both now available for free perusal on the web). All decent people want peace, self-determination and civilized, peaceful, and enriching dealings with their neighboring cultures. An Independent Scotland can provide a further example of such a civilized society. Indeed the very survival of Humanity from the current acute nuclear, poverty and climate threats requires general adoption of such a civilized position. An Independent Scotland can show the way.
According to independent accounts from Canada and Australia, my earliest known British ancestor was Guigan MacDonald who fled to Ireland as a proscribed MacDonald after the Battle of Culloden (1746) in which he participated (if caught he would have been hanged by the English conquerors). When he deemed it was safe to do so, he returned to his home in the Western Highlands as Donald McGuigan (a short boat trip of about 10 kilometers).
Two of our small crofters cottage homes still survive just north of the Mull of Kintyre, one without a roof and the other with a roof and presently used as a barn for sheep. Donald McGuigan’s descendants and their Highland Scots ilk were pushed off their land by landlords (including clan chiefs) associated with the genocidal English ethnic cleansing of Scotland called the “Highland Clearances”. Replaced by sheep in their Highland home, Highlands Scots fled to new lives in North America, Australia and New Zealand.
Now Scots have an opportunity to put the Scottish people and indeed Humanity first by voting “Yes” for an Independent Scotland that can make a huge contribution to saving our nuclear weapons-, poverty- and climate change-threatened world.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Mainstream media: Fake news through lying by omission
- Scotland requests second referendum on independence
- Scottish parliament backs new independence referendum
- Review: ‘Nutshell’ by Ian McEwan – parable for the planet’s unborn
- Turnbull & Trudeau anti-BDS & pro-Apartheid Israel
- Zionist Nobel Laureate Bob Dylan & Neighbourhood Bully
|Allen L. Jasson|