Sunday, October 22, 2017
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Simone Gbagbo cleared of war crimes charges

Simone Gbagbo had been charged with orchestrating attacks on supporters of her husband's opponent after 2010 election.

An Ivory Coast court has found former first lady Simone Gbagbo not guilty of war crimes and crimes against humanity after a trial on her alleged role in postelection abuses that led to the deaths of thousands.

Judge Kouadio Bouatchi with the country's highest criminal court said a jury unanimously voted on Tuesday to free Gbagbo.

The prosecution had asked for a life sentence, saying she participated on a committee that organised attacks against supporters of her husband's opponent after the 2010 election.

Once dubbed Ivory Coast's "Iron Lady," Gbagbo, who was not in court on Tuesday, must still serve 20 years in prison after being found guilty in 2015 of offenses against the state.  

The prosecution had called on the jury to find the 67-year-old wife of ex-president Laurent Gbagbo "guilty of crimes against humanity and war crimes and sentence her to life imprisonment," said prosecutor Aly Yeo.

"After her spouse came to power, she started to impose herself as the real head of Ivory Coast, the army, the police and gendarmerie," Yeo said.

Trial criticised

Laurent Gbagbo is on trial for crimes against humanity, including murder, rape and persecution, having been handed over in November 2011 to the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague.

The ICC also wanted to prosecute his wife and issued a warrant for her arrest, but Ivorian authorities refused to hand her over, insisting she would receive a fair trial at home.

Ivory Coast descended into civil war in 2011 after Gbagbo's refusal to accept defeat to Alassane Ouattara in a presidential runoff election. About 3,000 people were killed in the conflict.

"We regret this decision when we think of the many victims," Soungaola Coulibaly, lawyer for the victims, told Reuters.

"If Simone Gbagbo is declared not guilty of these acts then who was? ... The victims do not understand this decision."

Human Rights Watch said the judgement left "unanswered serious questions about her alleged role in brutal crimes".

"The acquittal ... reflects the many irregularities in the process against her," Param-Preet Singh, associate director in Human Rights Watch's International Justice Programme, said.

"The poor quality of the investigation and weak evidence presented in her trial underscore the importance of the ICC's outstanding case against her for similar crimes."


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Kenya political crisis deepens in r...

Read More

South Sudan: UN, US failed to preve...

Read More

Farmajo blames al-Shabab for Mogadi...

Read More

Senior Kenyan electoral official re...

Read More

Critic of Rwanda's president asks f...

Read More

Mogadishu massacre: A gravedigger's...

Read More

Global_News

Morocco's foreign ministry calls Abdelkader Messahel's remarks 'verious serious' and 'false'.

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

Diwali: The festival of lights

Is it autumn yet in Europe?