Sunday, February 18, 2018
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

New Boko Haram video purports to show Chibok girls

Girl appearing in footage says the abductees are safe, live g in comfort and do not want to be rescued.

Boko Haram video

Boko Haram has put out a video that it says shows some of the girls kidnapped from a town in northeastern Nigeria nearly four years ago.

The armed group seized 276 pupils from the Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok in April 2014.

Fifty-seven of them managed to escape in the immediate aftermath of the abduction. Some of the schoolgirls have since been released, while others managed to escape. Around 100 are still believed to be held by Boko Haram.

"We are the Chibok girls; you have been crying we should be released. But by the grace of Allah, we will not return home," one of the girls said in the undated footage, which was released on Monday.

"These people are taking care of us and we are grateful to them. We are happy here - we have found our faith," she added.

A group of about 12 girls and young women, some of whom are holding babies, are reportedly seen in the video.

MWC News could not independently verify that those appearing in the video were among those abducted in Chibok.


READ MORE: More than 700 escape Boko Haram: Nigeria's army


Abubakar Shekau, leader of Boko Haram, also appears in the footage, which was obtained by the Sahara Reporters website.

Sahara Reporters said they got the tape from a journalist who reports in the Lake Chad area.

In the video, Shekau claims responsibility for the downing of a Nigerian air force helicopter on January 5. The wreckage of a helicopter is also shown in the 36-minute footage.

The Nigerian government has previously said that the helicopter crashed because of a technical failure. No lives were lost in the crash.

The footage also shows clashes Boko Haram was involved in, although it is unclear who the group is fighting in the shown fragments.

Boko Haram, whose name roughly translates to "Western education is forbidden", has waged an armed campaign in northeastern Nigeria since 2009. 

It initially claimed to be fighting for the creation of an Islamic state in Nigeria's Muslim north, but a range of demands by different people have since been issued.

The years-long conflict has left at least 20,000 people dead and displaced more than 2.6 million.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Ethiopia's state of emergency to la...

Read More

Nigeria: Boko Haram blamed as suici...

Read More

'New dawn': Ramaphosa outlines visi...

Read More

Ethiopia declares state of emergenc...

Read More

Cyril Ramaphosa sworn in as South A...

Read More

Ethiopia prime minister Hailemariam...

Read More

Global_News

Nearly 2,000 have been sent away since 2013 because the government says they lied on asylum application forms.

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

From snowfall to sunshine

Palestinians hold 'day of rage'