Monday, November 20, 2017
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Suspect in deadly Times Square attack pleads not guilty

US Navy veteran Richard Rojas mowed down pedestrians in New York, killing a woman and injuring 22 others in May.

US Navy veteran Richard Rojas

The man accused of killing a woman and injuring 22 others by using his car to cut a three-block swath through the crowded sidewalks of New York's Times Square denied all charges related to the May attack, prosecutors said.

Richard Rojas, 26, pleaded not guilty to second degree murder, second degree attempted murder and first and second degree assault, prosecutors said.

Dressed in a beige jail uniform, Rojas mostly looked down at the defence table during his arraignment on Thursday in the May 18 melee

Rojas, a Navy veteran, drove his Honda sedan down Seventh Avenue and made a u-turn, mowing down pedestrians on sidewalks before crashing, prosecutors said.

Alyssa Elsman, an 18-year-old woman visiting from Michigan, was killed, while 22 other pedestrians suffered various injuries, some serious.


READ MORE: Deadly car-ramming in New York's Times Square


After the car crashed, the driver was subdued by onlookers and police as he tried to flee on foot.

The mother of one of the victims, high school student Jessica Williams who was badly injured, sat in court and cried during the brief hearing with two others, including a man who gave Rojas the finger as he left court.

Rojas' attorney said outside court it was a "terrible thing that happened".

"But how we handle this type of a case will determine how civilised of a society we are," said defence attorney Enrico DeMarco.

Photographers snapped pictures of a wild-eyed Rojas after he climbed from the wrecked car and ran through the street waving his arms.

He later told police he had been smoking marijuana laced with the hallucinogen PCP.

According to prosecutors, Rojas said he wanted to "kill them all".

Rojas has several prior criminal cases. He pleaded guilty shortly before the crash to harassment in the Bronx after he was accused of pulling a knife on a notary in his home. He also had two previous drunken driving cases.

While serving in the Navy in 2013, he spent two months in a military jail, though records do not disclose the reason.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Concerns grow as Argentina intensif...

Read More

Chile: Outgoing leader Bachelet lea...

Read More

Argentina: No contact with submarin...

Read More

Head of US counterterrorism centre ...

Read More

Ross 128 b: Nearby earth-like plane...

Read More

US: Four killed in California shoot...

Read More

Global_News

Germany chancellor says she would prefer a snap election than lead minority government after coalition talks break down.

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

Vietnam floods as APEC begin

Balfour Declaration