Tuesday, April 25, 2017
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Prosecutors open terror investigation into Paris attack

French decision follows deadly Champs Elysees attack on police, just three days before first round of presidential vote.

French prosecutors have opened a terrorism investigation into an attack in the Champs Elysees shopping district in Paris where an armed man killed one policeman and seriously injured two people.

President Francois Hollande said he was "convinced" a "terrorism" investigation was the correct approach to the incident before the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) group claimed responsibility for Thursday's attack via its Amaq website.

Hollande promised "absolute vigilance, particularly with regard to the electoral process" as France braces itself for the first round of a presidential election on Sunday.

French television networks reported that the attacker was a 39-year-old French national and was known to anti-terrorism police.

Police said the attacker had been convicted in 2005 of three counts of attempted murder - two of them against police officers.

Raids took place at his address in a suburb to the east of Paris.

"The identity of the attacker is known and has been checked. I will not give it because investigations with raids are ongoing," Francois Molins, Paris prosecutor, said.

"The investigators want to be sure whether he had or did not have accomplices."

Joseph Downing, a researcher at the London Schools of Economics, said that if the attacker was, as reported, known to police, it raised questions of how he could still stage an attack.

"This is something we've seen repeatedly in France, that everyone who has popped up to carry out an attack has been on the police database," he said.

"Even the person that murdered the priest [in Normandy] last year was actually on bail for terror offences at the time."

Potential beneficiaries

In another development, France's interior ministry said a man sought by the authorities turned himself in to police in Belgium on Friday, adding that it was "too early to say" if he was linked to the shooting.

Citing a source, the AFP news agency reported that the 35-year-old was described as "very dangerous" and had been sought by Belgian police as part of a separate investigation.

Several candidates announced after the attack that they had ended their campaigns early as a mark of respect.

France has been under a state of emergency since 2015 and has suffered a series of attacks that have killed more than 230 people in the past two years.

The Charlie Hebdo magazine was hit in January 2015, sites around Paris including the Bataclan concert hall were targeted in November the same year, and families at a fireworks display in Nice in July 2016.

Paul Gray, a US citizen working in Paris, said that it was the second time he found himself caught up in an attack.

"It was crazy, I work nearby and we were having a few beers with a colleague who was leaving and we just saw people running," he said.

"We were trapped, it was traumatic because the same thing happened to me the last time there was an attack."


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

North Korea marks

Europe's late spring freeze