Saturday, October 21, 2017
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Srebrenica defender Naser Oric acquitted of war crimes

The court in Sarajevo said that Naser Oric, who led the defence of Srebrenica during the 1992-95 war, is not guilty.

Bosnian Muslim commander Naser Oric

A court in Sarajevo has acquitted Bosnian Muslim commander Naser Oric of war crimes against Serbs during the 1992-95 war.

In its verdict on Monday, the court said that Oric, who led the defence of Srebrenica during the 1992-95 war, is not guilty in connection with the case of three Serb prisoners of war who were murdered in 1992 in Srebrenica.

"The accused Naser Oric and Sabahudin Muhic have been acquitted of charges of violating provisions of the Geneva Conventions," the judge, Saban Maksumic, told the Bosnian war crimes court, referring to one of Oric's fellow soldiers.

Families of the Serb victims walked out the courtroom protesting against the verdict, Reuters news agency reported.

Serbia and the Bosnian Serbs had accused Oric's men of killing Serb civilians in and around Srebrenica earlier in the war.

The former commander had always denied the charges. He was sentenced to two years in jail by the court in the Hague, Netherlands, in 2006, but acquitted on appeal in 2008.

Srebrenica eventually fell to Bosnian Serb forces in 1995 - the ensuing killing of more than 8,000 Muslim men and boys was seen as Europe's worst atrocity since World War II.

Bosnian Muslims or Bosniaks view Oric as a national hero, who defended them against Serbs.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

UK PM Theresa May calls for 'urgency' on Brexit talks

Read More

What is Article 155 of the 1978 Spanish Constitution?

Read More

Spain-Catalonia standoff to intensify as deadline looms

Read More

Malta reporters unite after Caruana Galizia murder

Read More

Catalan leader Puigdemont told to act with 'good sense'

Read More

Hate crimes rise around Brexit vote, recent attacks

Read More

Global_News

Shia mosques targeted in separate attacks, with at least 30 people killed in Kabul and up to 10 more in Ghor province.

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

Diwali: The festival of lights

Is it autumn yet in Europe?