ISIL claims responsibility for bombs outside Badr base in Khormaksar, where government of President Hadi is based.
Double bomb attacks on would-be army recruits in Yemen have killed at least 45 people, officials said.
The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS) claimed responsibility for the two attacks, which were carried out on Monday.
A car bomb hit a crowd of young men queueing to join the Yemeni army in the city of Aden, causing at least 20 casualties, a security official has said.
The explosion went off near the Badr base in the Khormaksar district of the city, where the government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi is based.
The bomber detonated an explosives belt after joining the queue at the recruitment centre. A second explosion went off inside the base afterwards, killing at least 25.
In a statement after the attacks, ISIL called the men it killed "apostate soldiers".
Local news website Aden al-Ghad showed pictures of soldiers picking up bloodied comrades in uniform from the ground and witnesses reported seeing ambulances with blaring sirens collecting the wounded from the scene.
Armed groups have gained ground in Aden since forces loyal to Hadi, and backed by a Saudi Arabia-led coalition, drove Houthi rebels, backed by Iran, out of the city in July last year.
The conflict between those two sides created a power vacuum that was exploited by al-Qaeda and allied groups.
Al-Qaeda and its rival, the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS) group, have claimed responsibility for a spate of attacks on government forces who drove Houthi rebels out.
But over the past two months, government and coalition forces have hit back, driving the armed fighters out of Aden, as well as the Hadramawt provincial capital Mukalla, which they had controlled for a year.
Elsewhere in Yemen, a landslide caused by heavy rain has swept through a village in the country's southwest, killing at least 20 people.
The rebel-controlled Saba news agency said on Monday that dozens of others were wounded and the death toll was likely to rise as rescue teams struggled to reach the village of Al-Lassbah in a mountainous district of Taez province.
The area was hit by "heavy rain that caused a collapse of rocks on houses," Saba said, citing a local source.
The impoverished south Arabian Peninsula country is frequently hit by heavy downpours which trigger landslides and floods. In April, 24 people were killed in northern Yemen following heavy rain which caused a dam to burst.
Taez province is largely under the control of Houthi rebels.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Ivanka faces tough questions over Trump in Berlin
- Pope Francis arrives in Egypt on historic visit
- Marwan Barghouti's health in serious decline: NGO
- Refugee boat sinks between Greece and Turkey, 16 drown
- Turkey targets Kurdish fighters in Iraq and Syria
- China urges restraint in dealing with North Korea
- Drone strike that killed Reyaad Khan 'not transparent'
- Ambush kills off-duty Iraqi soldiers in Anbar province
- ISIL attacks police station near Mosul
- Army accused of extrajudicial killings in leaked video
- Iraqi forces 'make further gains' against ISIL in Mosul
- Egypt says air raids kill 19 ISIL fighters in Sinai
|Allen L. Jasson|