Moscow refutes accusations it carried out raids that killed 50 people, including children, and damaged hospital.
Russia has angrily denied its planes carried out air strikes overnight against the Syrian rebel-held city of Idlib, which the Syrian Civil Defence said had killed at least 50 people.
"Russian planes did not carry out any combat missions, to say nothing of any air strikes, in the province of Idlib," Igor Konashenkov, a Russian Defence Ministry spokesman, said in a statement.
The UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said earlier on Tuesday the death toll was 23, including seven children.
Ten overnight strikes on Monday in Idlib hit areas around the National Hospital and other parts of the city centre, according to Rami Abdul-Rahman, head of the Observatory.
"The air strikes are the most intensive on Idlib since the beginning of the truce," Rahman told the AFP news agency. "Even though Idlib is not covered by the truce, it had been relatively calm with only intermittent raids."
The strikes on Monday evening on the north-western city, which is held by a coalition of rebel groups including al-Nusra Front, come five days after Moscow said it was suspending strikes on Syrian "gunmen".
The Russian Defence Ministry had said the pause was to allow groups who signed up for a US and Russian-backed cessation of hostilities a chance to cut their links with the al-Nusra Front, a powerful Syrian group with ties to al-Qaeda.
Searching the rubble
Idlib is considered the de facto capital for rebels.
Rebels have accused Russia of repeatedly targeting groups not linked to ISIL or al-Qaeda, while the US has said that battlefield alliances between al-Nusra and other rebels have complicated implementation of the truce, especially around the key northern city of Aleppo.
A volunteer with the rebel-backed White Helmets rescue group said that the strikes appeared to have been carried out by Russian aircraft.
Rescue workers were searching for survivors under the rubble of the bombed buildings, the volunteer, who asked to be known only as Majed, told the dpa agency.
The Syrian conflict, which began with peaceful protests in March 2011, has spiralled into a multi-sided civil war.
The death toll has risen to more than 250,000 people while half the country's population have been forced from their homes, according to UN estimates.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- North Korea: 'US has now gone seriously mad'
- Ivanka faces tough questions over Trump in Berlin
- Afghanistan mourns after deadly Taliban attack on base
- Activists ramp up pressure on Lebanon's rape law
- Venezuela braces for new protest in wave of unrest
- China, Philippines spar over military visit to island
|Allen L. Jasson|