Saturday, March 17, 2018
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

US suspends all non-immigrant visa services in Turkey

US Embassy says recent events forced it to reassess Ankara's commitment to the security of US facilities and staff.

US Embassy in Turkey

The United States embassy in Ankara says it is suspending, with immediate effect, all non-immigrant visa services at its diplomatic facilities in Turkey.

A statement issued by the US mission in the Turkish capital on Sunday said recent events had forced the US government to reassess Ankara's commitment to the security of US facilities and staff.

"In order to minimise the number of visitors to our Embassy and Consulates while this assessment proceeds, effective immediately we have suspended all non-immigrant visa services at all US diplomatic facilities in Turkey," read the statement.  

There was no immediate reaction from Ankara.

Arrest of US consulate's employee

The move comes a few days after the arrest of a US consulate employee in Istanbul for alleged links to Fethullah Gulen, a US-based Muslim leader blamed by Ankara for a failed coup attempt last year. Gulen denies involvement.

Washington said it was "deeply disturbed" by the employee's arrest.

Turkey's state-run Anadolu news agency identified the consulate employee as a male Turkish citizen.

It said he was arrested late on Wednesday on charges of espionage and attempts to damage the constitutional order and Turkey's government.

US-Turkish tensions have risen over Washington's military support for Kurdish YPG fighters in Syria, considered by Ankara to be an extension of the banned PKK, which has waged an armed campaign for three decades in southeast Turkey.

Turkey has also pressed, so far in vain, for the US to extradite Gulen.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Saudis in secret talks with Houthis...

Read More

Turkish-led assault on Syria's Afri...

Read More

Summit on UNRWA funding gets $100m ...

Read More

Qatar launches new five-year develo...

Read More

MBS: Saudis will pursue nuclear wea...

Read More

Qatar signs $3.7bn deal to buy mili...

Read More


Charges announced by chief prosecutor against former president concern a $2.5bn arms deal made in the 1990s.

Read More


Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:



Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

One year under Trump

Gun violence in US